Your doctor may need to refer you to other members of the healthcare team to carry out tests or procedures in a hospital setting. It may be helpful to understand who could be involved and what role they are likely to play:

General Practitioners (GPs)

Will most likely be your first point of contact, and your doctor will retain overall responsibility for providing any long-term care.


Specialist doctors who are experts in the care of the heart, they may be involved in further tests to establish a firm diagnosis.


Specialist doctors who focus on your heart’s electrical system and on diagnosing and treating irregular heartbeats or arrhythmias.

Cardiac Physiologists

Carry out cardiac tests, such as echocardiograms, ECGs, and blood pressure measurements. They may also work in the cath lab assisting the electrophysiologist.

Stroke Specialists

If your doctor thinks you are at high risk of stroke you may be referred to a Stroke specialist team to assess your risk further, and offer further medical advice and potential treatment.


Specialist doctors who will manage pain during and immediately after any surgery.